Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Two and a half months later...

I know, I know... it has been a while since my last post. Over the summer, I convinced myself that I would have a lot of time to blog, since I had spent so much time reading other people's blogs over the past year. But soon after my first post, we hit final exams for our summer classes, then we had a week off, then Sloan orientation, and meeting new people, and club meetings, and company presentations, and 9 classes... and now I am here. My fellow LFM students have given me a hard time about not writing, so I'll work on posting at least once a week, especially since I know they are checking up on me!

The start of the fall has been a whirlwind of activities, but it has been a great time. The pace over the summer was pretty relaxed, with a few weeks of stress when projects were due. We had time to sit at the Muddy Charles (one of MIT's on-campus pubs) and drink $6 pitchers of beer and eat free buffalo wings (Wedesday nights are the best!). We had time to attend barbecues with the students in the SDM (System Design & Managment) and Sloan Fellows programs. And we didn't have company presentations or club meetings every day of the week, before, between, and after classes. We were pretty pampered - don't let any other LFM's tell you that the summer is tough. It was definitely manageable.

After the summer term ended, two of my friends, Brian and Nathan, came to visit for a week. We spent a few days in Boston doing all of the touristy stuff - Freedom Trail, Quincy Market, canolis from Mike's Pastry (a must-have if you come to Boston). Then we took the Greyhound bus to New York for a few days. If you go on the Greyhound website, you can get a roundtrip ticket to New York for $30 if you click on the "specials" link - it is the same price as the Fung Hua (Chinatown) bus, and supposedly a lot safer. It was a great week to relax before... Orientation!

When we returned to campus, we found ourselves surrounded by 393 new friends - the largest entering class Sloan has had. The Admissions Office had a great year, and most of us jumped at the opportunity to come here when we received our acceptance letters, so our class is a little larger than expected. I'll go into more detail in my next post, but I have to say, the excitement of the start of the fall has not worn off - it just keeps growing!

To put in a little plug for the LFM admissions committee, we have begun our LFM Ambassadors program, so if you are interested in coming to check out LFM and Sloan, please go to the website: http://lfm.mit.edu and click on the "Request a visit or a brochure" link on the right side of the page. You will also receive monthly emails about the program, including application deadlines, admissions events, and articles about students and faculty in LFM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.