Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Applying to LFM

I got my first comment that was not from an LFM! (or at least I hope it wasn't) Someone out there asked about LFM's application and acceptance rate, since it is not something posted on the website. On average, there have been about 200 people applying for the program each year. Simple math tells you that this means that there is about a 25% acceptance rate, which is pretty generous for such a great program and a great school. While we are actively working to up the numbers of applicants this year, it is not likely to get much higher than that in the short-term. So think of this as just one more reason to consider applying to the program!

Part of the reason the number of applicants is low is that it is targeted at manufacturing and operations - so all of the 1,000's of future consultants and investment bankers don't apply. I don't think this self-selection is such a bad thing - it means that the applicant pool has strong interests in a field which I personally feel is pretty fascinating.

The program is very serious about their requirement that admitted students have strong interests in manufacturing and operations. In my interview group, there were many people who did not have any manufacturing experience, but they came prepared with detailed examples of what manufacturing careers they would like to have post-graduation. So don't get discouraged if you are coming from consulting, design, sales, or even the military (we have 3 ex-Navy officers in our class) - you just have to be able to show that you are interested in working in manufacturing in the future and that your previous experiences have taught you about leadership, working with people, and managing processes.

I also have to point out that a 25% acceptance rate doesn't mean LFM is an easy route to getting into Sloan. This year, our average GMAT score is higher than the Sloan average, and in most cases our stats match or exceed the Sloan stats. The biggest benefit is that, if you are truly interested in a career in operations, they take that to heart more than they would in a general Sloan interview, so you can score some extra brownie points. And you get to meet a lot of great people from a wide array of industries, so you learn about manufacturing careers just from the interview process. The people in my interview group were so interesting that I spent all day finding out about where they worked and what they did, that I did not even have time to be too nervous (well, until 15 minutes before the interview!).

If you are applying this year:
I would highly recommend not spending months of your time on the essays. If you are convinced that this is the right program for you (like most of us were), then express that in your essays and the admissions committee will love them. It is not about having the perfect formatting, the most intelligent big words, or the most expensive consultant reviewing them - in my experience, the admissions staff just wants to hear from you about your interests, goals, and what you can bring to this exciting place. Make them look good, but don't spend days writing and re-writing one sentence in your essays. Don't stress!

I think I took a more laid-back approach to my applications than some of my classmates, so they may tell you differently. I knew this program was right for me, and I put my energy into making sure that came through in my essays. I know a lot of you also have questions about your grades, test scores, leadership/work experience, etc. My recommendation is to not focus too much on any one part. A lower GMAT score can be balanced by strong career plans, and a lack of management experience at work can be improved by leadership experience outside of work. Most people in my class have had 3-4 years experience, and many have not managed people yet, so don't look at some of our people with 10+years experience and compare yourself to them (even though we still do it sometimes in class).

Another thing you can do to improve your application is to visit the LFM program (or talk to a student over the phone/email if you live too far away). We love to have visitors to show around campus and to talk to about how much fun we have been having. By seeing the program first-hand, you can find out which parts of the program are most appealing to you, and you can tie them into your essays. It is one thing to find a keyword on the website - it is another to have spoken to a student about our Domestic Plant Trek, our Proseminar course, or many of the other LFM activities. As I mentioned above, the admissions committee wants to know why LFM is a good fit for you, and they don't just mean the coursework.

Good luck on the GMAT and application-writing! And please let me know, via the comments section, if there is anything else I can tell you about the program.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimee,
This post was very helpful. Well done! I am applying this year and would love to sit down and speak with you if you have a free moment. Good luck with the classes,

Rob Hardy
robhardy20@yahoo.com

Madhur said...

hi there,

nice post ad very informative, i am applying this year, i am from a marketing and sales background and would like to persue a career in brand management. Can you please help me in shortlisting the schools to which i shpuld apply to. My score is 720.

Best,
Madhur

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimee,

Thanks for the detailed advice about applying to LFM. It was very informative. I have one question about applying to the program.

Under the "Apply-Qualifications" link on the program's website, it says that competetive LFM candidates should: "Satisfy admissions requirements of the MIT Sloan School of Management and a participating MIT engineering department "

Does this mean that LFM candidates are expected to complete engineering school applications (including the GRE) in addition to applying to Sloan?

You could post your response here or send it to yousef.yousefi@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

-- Yousef

Miguel said...

Aimee:

Great post, very informative! I'd like to bring up two points. First I'd like to mention that, contrary to the acronym, LFM is not just manufacturing. Supply chain management, urban logistics, product lifecycles, LEAN processes, are just a sample of what one can focus on at LFM, depending on the engineering degree selected. Secondly, visiting LFM is a great opportunity to get to know the program, but will not provide any tangible advantage in the admissions process. It may help in finer areas like talking to students and getting ideas for what to write about in essays.

Laters,
MS

Anonymous said...

Great advice -- thanks for sharing it.


Noramay Cadena from Seattle
LFM c/o 2010 applicant

Anonymous said...

Thank you for answering my question so thoroughly Aimee. (Yes, I am not an LFM.)

Another question for you:
Does LFM allow deferred admissions in extenuating circumstances?

just Ava said...

Hi,
Can you tell us something about international recruitment opportunities? For example, do any LFM graduates get hired by international manufacturing companies (i.e. China /India etc)

Thanks!
Ava.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimee,

I'm a current senior undergrad at Caltech pursuing a degree in Chemical Engineering. The LFM program sounds really interesting, and I was wondering what type of engineering courses were required for LFM students (maybe specifically cheme's if you know?). On the website it looked like a lot of courses were sloan management courses - I was hoping to get an idea of what type of engineering classes were required/offered and what percentage of the total course load was in engineering.

By any chance, do you know of other MBA/Masters in Engineering joint programs available? It's something that I'd really like to consider applying to in 3 years.


Thanks,
Helen
helenlee14@gmail.com

A said...

Aimee,

Thanks for your informative post! I wanted to know when applying to LFM through Sloan is it still possible to apply to the E&I certificate program or the dual degree program with KSG? Just in case you are not admitted into LFM and are interested in other Sloan programs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimee,

Your post was very helpful and informative. Regarding the GMAT/GRE requirement, what is considered a good GRE score/range to get admitted?

Thanks and good luck with all your classes + the internship.

Sadia Zafar
zsadia@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

God is the foundation of evil !

Anonymous said...

I am from India and have been working in the semiconductor industry for the last 2 years. I am planning to apply to

LFM, june 2009 batch. For the last two years I have been working as a Design Engineer and my work involved designing

IPs for silicon chips. As of now, I don't have any experience in manufacturing or production and also no experience

at any managerial level. But I have always been interested in a career which will give me an opportunity to work in

manufacturing/production.
Though my work-ex doesn't look like relevant and it is lower than the average in terms of no of years, I've decided

that I still would go ahead and apply this year.

I had a couple of queries and it'd be great if you can answer them.

1. Due to internship involved in the course, for international students (specially indians) does it become difficult

to obtain a work visa? Are Indians at a disadvantage because of this, because the LFM website states that they'd

prefer people who are legally allowed to work into the locations of their partner companies.

2. It is possible to apply through either MIT Sloan or MIT SoE. Because my work-ex is on the lower side, will it be

difficult for me to get an admit through Sloan? Will my application be judged together with that of the other MBA

applicants or the application for LFM are considered separately?
Is it advisable to rather apply through SoE?
I have to make my decision about GMAT or GRE considering this.

3. Any other tips you'd like to share. :)

Thanks in advance,
Najmuddin

shreyash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shreyash said...

Hi Aimee,
This ipost is very helpful to me but i want more knowledge about admission procedure and requirements.
Sir i am shreyash currently doing production engineering from VJTI college, BOMBAY,INDIA. I have strong desire to join mit-lfm in future but i am not clear about admission procedure and requirements. Already i checked mit-lfm website but my few doubts are not cleared so do me a favor and please send me all the admission requirements in brief and about what i have to do to get admission in mit for lfm program.what should be my G-MAT score? is GRE score will help me for admission? please help me through this.
my email id is shreyrocks_87@yahoo.co.in
waiting for your reply,
shreyash.

Ansh said...

Hi Aimee,
This is Ansh from India. I came across your profile and blog thru LFM website and have liked it.
I too am pursuing a advanced course in manufacturing from one of the premier institutes in India (we call it VLM - Visionary Leaders for Manufacturing). You must be knowing Prof. Shiba from MIT. He's one of our star faculties.
I wanted to discuss somethings on the future prospects of this degree from global perspectives. I wud grateful if you reply me on my id, if interested.
Best wishes,

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am applying to the LFM programme for Fall 2009. I'd like it if I could ask you some general questions about the programme.
My email address is abhishek.garodia@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Abhishek

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am applying to the LFM programme for Fall 2009. I'd like it if I could ask you some general questions about the programme.
My email address is abhishek.garodia@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Abhishek

Unknown said...

Hello from sunny Greece!
Could you please send me your email??I have some questions to make..
Many thanks!
And Good luck with your classes..
Amalia
liachem@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi Aimee

Thanks very much for info.

Quick question : What portion of LFM applicants work for partner companies after graduation ?

And is LFM geared towards nabagerial positions at the end or it is more on operationl/manufacturing side ?

Anonymous said...

california auto insurance quotes auto insurance mi

Anonymous said...

auto insurance in texas pennsylvania car insurance quotes

Drug Rehab Houston, TX said...

I love this! Keep up the great work :)

Anonymous said...

This item is great for people w curly unruly hair. I have fine curly hair, just a lot of it - so sometimes products for curly thick (the folicle itself) do not give achieve the

results I want for my hair. The great thing is you only need a couple of pumps (too much can make your hair kind of hard - as if you were using a gel) and give you super defined curls w/o using gels,

hairsprays, individually twisting your curls, etc... It just gives you what you hope nature intended your hair to look like, w/o looking like you have a product in your hair - It has a nice mild smell and

gives you soft and bouncy curls - I use it to style and comb my hair (when wet) and then finish with a bit of MoroccanOil and have hair that looks great all day long

Anonymous said...

valium diazepam mail order valium no prescription - canadian pharmacy no prescription valium