Sunday, July 22, 2007

About Aimee

Hi everyone! I am happy that you made it to this site because it means you are either:
  1. a family member or friend checking up on me, or
  2. a potential applicant interested in finding out more about the Leaders For Manufacturing (LFM) program at MIT.
If you fall into that second group, I hope the postings I make can help give you a little insight into what the program is like, and I encourage you to check out my classmates' blogs, and the other information available on the LFM website: http://lfm.mit.edu.

To fill you in on my background, I am originally from the Detroit area, and went to the University of Michigan for Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, graduating in 2003. I interned at Cummins Inc., a diesel engine/power generation company, and went to work there full-time after graduation. I spent 2 years in Cummins' Manufacturing Development Program, and then 2 more years as the Process Engineer in Cummins Midrange Engine Plant in Columbus, Indiana. While at Cummins, I finished a Masters in Industrial Engineering through Purdue University part-time, and decided that I wanted to get an MBA full-time. I had heard about the Leaders For Manufacturing program at MIT, and felt it was a great fit because of my interest both the technical and business aspects of manufacturing.

After a reasonably painless application process, I started at MIT on June 4, 2007, along with 46 other classmates. Since then, we have been taking several courses, visiting partner companies on plant tours, and hearing from senior leaders in proseminar presentations. We have also done a fair amount of bonding outside of class, which I am sure you will hear a lot about. Over the next 2 years, I will be completing coursework and an internship-based thesis in order to earn my MBA, along with a Masters in Engineering Systems.

I'll try to post often to give people an idea of what LFM is like, from my perspective. I welcome any questions you may have, and I hope that I can convince some of you to apply to LFM this year!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I wouldn't say the application process was painless... suggest starting early, at least 2 months... especially if you don't know how LFM is your destiny...

MVP said...

You forgot the third category of LFM classmates checking up on you as well :)

I hope LFM has treated you well. Looking forward to reading about everything that has been going on over the summer.

shreyash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello Aimee.....

I am interested in joining LFM....I am currently working with Cummins at COB.

I have few questions about LFM. Could you please give me your email ID (mine is bkapte1981@yahoo.co.in) so that I can post my questions.
Thanks in advance
bk

Alan Christensen said...

I'm neither 1 or 2! Thought I'd drop a note to say I stopped by and read through your blog. Found it by way of feld.com's blog roll and MIT's student blogs!! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Aimee,

I am student at the university of michigan doing masters of supply chain management at the Ross School Of Business. I would like to contact you regarding the LGO program at MIT. Can you please contact me at dasari@umich.edu?.

Thanks for you time and consideration.